Miscellaneous Alice > "Are You Alice?" Series

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
wondersyndrome
White Knight

"Are You Alice?" Series

Postby wondersyndrome » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Has anyone heard of/read the "Are You Alice?" manga series?

From what I can find out about it, it's based on a drama CD series. The story features a young man, "Alice", who after throwing away his dreams and past, wandered into Wonderland and is forced into playing "The Game" to kill the White Rabbit by the Queen of Hearts.

The story seems very confusing, but I am intrested. Can anyone tell me if this is any good?

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Ooh, yes! Heard of it. I've read the first few chapters on mangareader. Nowhere near as good as 'Pandora Hearts', but it is very much worth reading. Imaginative story and really good art. It also used the themes of identity found in the books in an original way.
Thank you for reminding me about it. I'll have to keep on reading it again.

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:17 am

Imaginative story and really good art. It also used the themes of identity found in the books in an original way.
I agree that the art is really good. Reminds me a little of the art from Dogs: Bullets and Carnage and Black Butler. I've read the first couple of chapters on the web; it seems pretty good, but there isn't much infomation about it. I guess it hasn't become that popular in the west yet :|

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Ooh, Black Butler! (If you like that series, then Pandora Hearts will definitely satisfy you. They've got similar artwork, settings, etc).

But 'Are You Alice' definitely has one of the coolest Hatters I've ever seen!

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Ooh, Black Butler! (If you like that series, then Pandora Hearts will definitely satisfy you. They've got similar artwork, settings, etc).

But 'Are You Alice' definitely has one of the coolest Hatters I've ever seen!
Never got into Pandora Hearts. I don't think it's a bad series; I can see why people like it, but it never clicked for me for some reason.

The Hatter is awesome. Are You Alice? has some great character designs.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 pm

I can understand that. Plenty of stuff that's never 'clicked' with me, either.
I love how manga makes characters look so cool. I like Are you Alice's style of art, and it goes well with the story.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:32 pm

http://www.mangareader.net/1153/are-you-alice.html

In case anybody's interested in reading it.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 am

Speaking of Kuroshitsuji and Alice in Wonderland...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSdsww0KFlg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ZEB69fsHg

Sorry I could not find one with english subtitles.

If anyone's interested, there are two other series that Alice fans might be interested in. They're both seinen (18+) though, so they're probably unsuitable for younger members of the forum.
Serial Experiments Lain- a surreal cyberpunk anime, all about the nature of reality. Has a few references to the Alice books, including a character named after her. I think the Cheshire Cat makes an appearance also. I recommend it.
Rozen Maiden- I haven't read this yet. I'll probably wait a while. Anyway, it is about these dolls created by the mysterious Rozen who have to compete in 'The Alice Game' where they fight against each other to see which one is the 'Alice'. Something like that anyway.

~MadderforHatter~
Queen Alice

Postby ~MadderforHatter~ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Graphic novels/manga usually aren't my type of book, but I quite like the 'Are You Alice' ones. My only problem is sometimes it's hard to figure out what dialogue to read first, because of the layout. Still though, I'm enjoying it. I especially like the Hatter. AIW:-)

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 am

Graphic novels/manga usually aren't my type of book, but I quite like the 'Are You Alice' ones. My only problem is sometimes it's hard to figure out what dialogue to read first, because of the layout. Still though, I'm enjoying it. I especially like the Hatter. AIW:-)
No surprise there. AIW:-)
But the Hatter is definitely cool. A snappy dresser too. Kind of looks like a less wild-looking Jack Sparrow.

I used to have the same trouble with reading manga. JNow, when reading western comics, I sometimes read them the wrong way 'round.

I'm glad they mention the Duchess. She's often overlooked.
(Still can't get over the fact that this manga is shojo- aimed at girls.)

~MadderforHatter~
Queen Alice

Postby ~MadderforHatter~ » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 pm

No surprise there. AIW:-)
But the Hatter is definitely cool. A snappy dresser too. Kind of looks like a less wild-looking Jack Sparrow.

I used to have the same trouble with reading manga. JNow, when reading western comics, I sometimes read them the wrong way 'round.

I'm glad they mention the Duchess. She's often overlooked.
(Still can't get over the fact that this manga is shojo- aimed at girls.)
Haha! ^.^

I know, this is probably my new favorite Hatter next to Johnny Depp's.

Is that how you read manga now? The wrong way 'round?

I thought it was pretty interesting the Duchess is a little girl instead of a woman this time. Nice little twist. AIW:-)

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Manga's meant to be read left-to-right. Western comics are the kind you get in Europe and America.
The Duchess is a little girl? Sorry, I've only read a few chapters so far. Been too busy with Kuroshitsuji, D.Gray-Man and... you know what else. AIW:-)

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”