Feedback & Announcements > What about Nursery Alice

Forum guidelines and announcements. Compliments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. for the webmaster.
Naku Chan In Wonderland
Queen Alice

What about Nursery Alice

Postby Naku Chan In Wonderland » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:41 pm

I'd like this to be put in the resourses section on the site, I would like to have information about Nursery Alice, its a book we have at our school library and I think it should be told about on this site.....as well As American Mcgees Alice lol

-Update-

Okay so I had some ideas about nursery Alice, id like some pictures of the colored illustrations of that were possible, um, maybe a little bit of info, thats about it.
Last edited by Naku Chan In Wonderland on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:58 am

Thanks for your suggestion.
I'm not including McGee's, but I could add the Nursery Alice. Although I'm not sute how much can be said about it except for the publishing date and colored images. What would you have me add?

Ter
Mad Hatter

Postby Ter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:21 am

Oh whats Nursery Alice?

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:05 am

http://www.aliang.net/literature/the_nu ... index.html

Carroll himself simplified the text of AIW for very young children, hence the name 'The Nursery Alice'. It's rather a humorous read, as he puts all sorts of funny little questions in, and it sounds almost conversational. One of the most appealling things about it is that 20 of Tenniel's illustrations were coloured, presumably to make them more intriguing for infant eyes. I actually quite like it as it has Alice's dress as being coloured yellow, not blue, with blue stockings. The link above explains all, with all the original text. It went out of print for a bit, but a new edition's been published.

Naku Chan In Wonderland
Queen Alice

Postby Naku Chan In Wonderland » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm not including McGee's, but I could add the Nursery Alice. Although I'm not sute how much can be said about it except for the publishing date and colored images. What would you have me add?
Woah! The webmaster actually replied to me :O

I am honnored!! *curtsies*

I'd like to say that I really don't know what to put up yet for the nursery Alice becuase I didn't read it yet I just read a bit and then I returned it becuase I felt like ordering it off of amazon instead, now Im waiting for the day it comes, including the original cover and Al. :D

I am, like Alice herself, a quite curious person, and I hope you don't mind me asking "why" you won't discuss American Mcgees Alice? It understand that it may be because its too violent but it has alot of symbolism and puzzles....Its not just a game full of mindless killing.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:21 pm

I think Lenny prefers to focus more on the actual Lewis Carroll Alice stuff, though I don't know if she actually dislikes the American McGee's game.

Naku Chan In Wonderland
Queen Alice

I don't mean to start an arguement.......

Postby Naku Chan In Wonderland » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 pm

I think Lenny prefers to focus more on the actual Lewis Carroll Alice stuff, though I don't know if she actually dislikes the American McGee's game.
Well if that is true, then why is there a part dedicated to Disney's Alice?

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:25 pm

She's a Disney Alice fangirl.

Naku Chan In Wonderland
Queen Alice

Postby Naku Chan In Wonderland » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:37 pm

She's a Disney Alice fangirl.
Oh....um...well.....ok.....?

I would ask maybe I could help with making a thing about AMA (American McGees Alice) but I'll wait till I'm allowed to be an admin :| if she will let me....

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 am

Somehow I missed the last posts in this conversation... sorry.

Indeed I want to focus on the original stories, because including all spin-offs would make the site huge and be too much work to maintain it.
I did allow myself to add Disneys cartoon though, because I like it so much :-)

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm

If you could find the room, the text is an interesting resource.
But, if space is limited, maybe just one chapter or some selected quotations perhaps?

Carroll explains some things from AAiW that people sometimes wonder/ask about - eg What was the White Rabbit late for?
Well, you see, it had to go and visit the Duchess (you’ll see a picture of the Duchess, soon, sitting in her kitchen): and the Duchess was a very cross old lady: and the Rabbit knew she’d be very angry indeed if he kept her waiting.
What does the card in the (Mad) Hatter's hat mean?
The Hatter used to carry about hats to sell: and even the one that he’s got on his head is meant to be sold. You see it’s got its price marked on it—a “10” and a “6”—that means “ten shillings and sixpence.” Wasn’t that a funny way of selling hats ?
And soforth.

And I think there are some more literary insights as well. For instance, I think this quote is quite revealling as regards the argument about whether AAiW is about *growing up*
Which would you have liked the best, do you think, to be a little tiny Alice, no larger than a kitten, or a great tall Alice, with your head always knocking against the ceiling ?
Perhaps there's room (and relevance) for a page on the Nursery Alice?

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 am

More on the author and less crappy stuff like Disney and McGee.

Return to “Feedback & Announcements”