Buying, selling & collectibles > FYI: The Rolen-illustrated AAiW is available from Google

Promote your or other people's Alice in Wonderland products, show off your collectibles, or ask for help with finding a specific item.
Treacle
Honorary member

FYI: The Rolen-illustrated AAiW is available from Google

Postby Treacle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:11 pm

I posted the Rolen pictures for awhile here at the forum, so they're not new to some of the members. This edition is for the general public, since I learned the hard way that giving books doesn't work. It's the, "it was free so it can't be any good" mentality.

I still intend to put it out for free after it stops selling, as I promised earlier. Even with this 'commercial' publication, I kept it cheap and DRM-free.

It was good as long as all I did was look at the part I sent, the PDF. Google did nothing right about making it its own, new book. It's a mess.

1/26/14 Now I understand that it's a dummy page for holding the PDF until the publication is put on sale. I've also learned that ISBN doesn't apply to eBooks that are originally and purely electronic.

I asked the head of Technical Services at the library in which I work if the library stores a copy of each eBook in the library, as physical books are stored, and she said no, that it's a link to the publisher's site. This means that if the publisher stops carrying the eBook, the book disappears. (Years ago I gave the library a copy of the physical book, and that is on the library shelves and is listed in the library catalog. I cannot give the same library a copy of the eBook revision, and, for the same reasons, it wouldn't work for the library to buy a copy from, in this case, Google, because to buy is to download and store.) The library in which I work will outlast me, but I don't know how much longer than that, if digitisation is becoming the norm, and there are ever fewer book stores. Oh bother. :-(

As I wait for the thing to be on sale, I see that I set it for sale only in the U. S.

1/14/2014 Details were better explained to me today, so I tried making it for sale in the world. Maybe I did.
Last edited by Treacle on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 am

If I don't figure out how to make the Rolen Alice available to all the members of the forum (I hope I do, but I'm stupid about business, I'm afraid), is there something like Photobucket but for pdf files instead of jpg files?

------
11/15/13 Now I know about pdf hosting services, so if all else fails, I can still share the book with you guys. Yes!

The more I look into the ePublishing business, the more it appears no one is yet prepared for an e-book like this.
------

I'm going to post connections to the illustrations as soon as I can.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:58 am

According to a notice I received on my Google Books Partners account, the Rolen Alice is for sale, even though it hasn't been made "Live in Store", and, they said, two copies have been bought.

9/29/2014 I misinterpreted, evidently. Making the "buy" button "live" somehow does not mean that the ebook is for sale. (Imagine the Hatter and Humpty Dumpty as publishers.) I apologize for raising a false alarm, folks.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:20 pm

My Google Books Partner account has been suspended for (unspecified) violation or violations of Content Policy, so I'm told.
So: The Rolen-illustrated AAiW is not available from Google Books.

They might change their minds. I'll wait. There's no reason for anyone else to wait.

Maybe it bothers them that JMR sold me the drawings outright, but unless they tell me what bothers them, who knows? :|

In the meantime, the Rolen-illustrated AAiW is available as a free download at this Forum under Fan Art and Fan Fiction, under "J. Michael Rolen Illustrations", on page 2.

...oh, maybe I should mention it's a Large Type Edition, especially if viewed at its original 8.5"x11" page size. Large Type editions can be useful sometimes.
Last edited by Treacle on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treacle
Honorary member

Re: FYI: The Rolen-illustrated AAiW is available from Google

Postby Treacle » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Google is offering a free download of AAiW and attributing it to me as the publisher. It is a PDF scan of a former library copy of the Tenniel-illustrated AAiW. It seems to be a popular download. I have nothing to do with it. While I am glad to be of assistance in getting people to read AAiW, this is not the Rolen-illustrated AAiW, the only PDF edition of which I *am* the publisher.

I don't understand, but there it is.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Quite aside from the PDF edition of the Rolen Alice downloadable from Lenny's forum, there is now an Evertype edition for sale. It is entirely Michael Everson's book, but he did ask nicely if he could publish the Rolen Alice drawings, so I sent them to him. Some people want a printed book they can buy. Thanks to Mr. Everson that is now possible.

The two editions don't look alike. There's no harm in having both.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 pm

FYI:
Or maybe there isn't an Evertype edition. Booksellers on the Internet are listing it for sale, but it isn't in the Evertype catalog.

4/22/18. It's back in the Evertype catalog.

Return to “Buying, selling & collectibles”