Are you planning an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding? On this page you can find lots of ideas for an elegant Alice in Wonderland wedding: from invitations to wedding favors!
Don’t forget to also read my general Alice in Wonderland party ideas!
- You can pick black and white as your wedding colors, to represent the black and white book illustrations and chess board theme. Or go with blue (Alice’s dress), red and white (for the (not) painted roses from the Queen’s garden).
- Scatter little golden keys, heart gems, playing cards, card suit confetti, flower petals, etc. all over the tables.
- Pick checkerboard or colorful table cloths.
- Use playing cards for table numbers and keys as place card holders.
- As centerpieces you can make stacks of teapots, tea cups and saucers. Use vases with red and white roses or small rose bushes. Or create a playing card themed centerpiece.
- Decorate the walls with big mirrors.
- Make a wedding arch from bushes with red and white roses.
- Build a Wonderland signpost: attach signs in different colors and with different fonts to a pole, pointing to the various locations on your wedding venue (like the photo booth, gift table, guest book, toilets…). Also add some silly signs like ‘this way’, ‘thay way’, ‘back’ and ‘yonder’.
- Use teapots in stead of vases for flowers.
- Hang all kinds of Wonderlandish items from the ceiling (or branches, if your wedding is outdoors), like tea cups, playing cards and little clocks / pocket watches. Also put up paper lanterns or string lights.
- If possible, use black and white tiles to make your dance floor look like a chess board.
- Walk down the aisle on a song from the soundtrack of your favorite Alice in Wonderland movie. Or do your first dance on it.
- Create a path down isle by laying down old book pages and gluing them together.
- Have your flower girl wear an Alice dress, rabbit ears, or a crown/tiara and lots of hearts, and ask her to toss out red and white rose petals.
- Encorporate quotes from the books into your vows or ceremony.
- Use pawns or other chess pieces as ring holders.
- As a union ceremony, smoke from your hookahs and blow out the smoke together so it will integrate in the air.
Food and drinks
- Attach ‘eat me’ and ‘drink me’ labels to everything.
- In stead of a candy bar, have a table where guests can pour themselfs all sorts of different flavours of tea. Add little bottles with honey, sticks with barley sugar, Alice in Wonderland themed cookies, etc.
- Provide a party fountain for beverages and a chocolate fountain for dipping snacks.
- Buy mismatched crockery from thrift stores.
- Get a topsy turvy cake for a wedding cake. See wedding cake examples on my blog!
- Use Alice in Wonderland figurines as cake toppers.
- Serve cute cup cakes.
Clothing and accessories
- Ask your groomsmen to wear ties with a Wonderlandish print, tie pins or top hats with a 10/6 card (you could also replace the 10/6 with your wedding date!). Give the groomsmen pocket watches to wear during the wedding, which they can keep as a gift afterwards.
- Use Alice in Wonderland buttons in stead of / as part of the corsages or boutonnieres. If you have different groups that wear corsages, you could pick red roses for one group (for example, the wedding party), and white roses for others. Or have them wear corsages / boutonnieres with different card suits. You could also add a dangling pocket watch on a short chain to them.
- Pick bridesmaid dresses with large bows at the back of their waist and Mary Jane shoes.
- The bride can wear a long or tea length blue tafeta dress. If you want to marry in white, adorn your dress with blue accents (they can be your ‘something blue’). The groom can wear a top hat, and the bride a mini top hat on a hairband or a hairband with bow.
- Carry a wedding bouquet made of red and white roses. Or use old book pages to make a paper flower bouquet. Let a pocket watch dangle from the bouquet. Attach a ‘throw me’ label to it.
- Give something useful, so your guests will remember your wedding every time they use the object. For example, bottle openers shaped like little golden keys.
- Candy is always appreciated as well. How about playing card chocolates, mushroom cookies, or ‘eat me’ lollipops? You can also fill a candy bag with all sorts of Alice in Wonderland themed food.
- Give tins, boxes, or organza bags with tea. There is Alice in Wonderland themed tea available!
- Fill little bottles with your favorite beverage and attach a ‘drink me’ label to them.
- Give everyone a copy of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
- Make Alice in Wonderland themed invitations and thank you cards.
- Have an Alice in Wonderland themed photo booth! Provide props like a Cheshire Cat smile on a stick, hearts, a crown, top hat, white pinafore, black headband with bow, themed glasses, a teapot and tea cups, plush white rabbits, Cheshire Cats, or other Wonderland creatures, oversized playing cards, croquet mallets or flamingos, giant chess pieces, a drink me bottle, a hookah, and more. Also put up an Alice in Wonderland themed backdrop.
- Have a Mad Tea Party for your bachelor(ette) party! You could paint teacups, decorate top hats, play croquet, and dress up as Wonderland characters. Check out pictures from my own Alice in Wonderland bachelorette party!
- Do a photoshoot in a rose garden or labyrinth.
- Create an Alice in Wonderland book cover for your guest book.
- Make a card box in the shape of a Mad Hatter’s hat.
Need more inspiration?
Check out my page with general Alice in Wonderland party ideas!
Also view my Pinterest board with examples and inspiration:
If you have more ideas for an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding, let me know and I may add them to this list!