The Atkinson (UK) will soon open an exhibition dedicated to illustrations for the Alice in Wonderland story. The exhibition features amongst others Dodgson’s own illustrations and illustrations from his contemporaries. It examines how artists and craftspeople were inspired by the story across generations.
Items on display include:
- Original sketches by Lewis Carroll, which he drew for “Alice’s Adventures Under Ground”;
- Original wood blocks used for the prints in the book;
- Salvador Dalí’s rarely seen ‘Alice in Wonderland’ illustrations;
- Collections of Alice material from the British Library and Macmillan Publishers;
- Illustrations from contemporary local artists.
The exhibition runs from Saturday 25 May 2019 until Saturday 7 September 2019 at The Atkinson, Southport (UK). For more information, go to https://www.theatkinson.co.uk/events/inspired-by-alice/.